DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Friday, February 3, 2017

Genesis 32 - Nathanael

Jacob also went on his way, and the angels of God met him. 
Genesis 32:1
So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.
Genesis 32:30

It is quite striking how often Jacob encounters God in this chapter. 
Another striking feature is his humility before God and his earnest perseverance toward God as well. 

In verse 10 he prays quite humbly: I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps.

Then in verse 26 we see his amazing tenacity as he wrestles with God: Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."

He had wrestled all night and still refused to stop until he was blessed. 10 minutes is where I might give up and on a good day maybe an hour. 

Lord help me to seek you and press in with this same kind of refusal to give up as Israel had!


No comments:

Post a Comment