DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

John Chapter 6 - Nathanael

John 6:26-27 Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

While it is true that Jesus can do miracles and he takes care of our needs such as providing food as above, our ultimate goal should be knowing Jesus in a deep and intimate way.  Our heart should be focused on the provider and not the provision! Eternal life is really living in relationship with Jesus and it begins now!

Jesus then says that the work that we should do is to "believe in the one" God has sent (verse 29).  This believing isn't just a mental ascent, like "I believe that gravity is real." It is closer to and includes the meaning in our word "trust" or "entrust", like "I am entrusting my life and future into Jesus' hands."  That is why Paul says in Romans 10:9 that we believe in our heart (as opposed to our mind).

Jesus, I thank you that you promise to take care of my food, clothing and shelter when I seek first your kingdom, but help me to maintain my focus and my goal on you, my provider, and not the provision.  I thank you for your love and faithfulness and I entrust my life, my hopes, my dreams, my future and all of myself to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment