DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

John Chapter 8 - Nathanael

I find it so very interesting to read John and hear so much of the voice of Jesus!  The other gospels tell much of what he did but in the gospel of John we hear so much of what he said!

Here in this chapter we see how masterful Jesus was in speaking.  He started by speaking in parables and then became more and more clear, like pulling back veils so that you could hear plainly what he was seeing.  Here are four verses that step through the chapter and you can see this progression:

John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."   

- Starts very much as a parable - only people who were interested would stick around and find out what it means since the meaning is mostly hidden.

John 8:26 "I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is trustworthy, and what I have heard from him I tell the world."   

- Moving more to clear speaking but still not saying directly who "he who sent me" is.


John 8:42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me.   

- Now he clearly says that God sent him, so we understand more of who he is

John 8:58 "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

- Then he says not only who sent him but who he is - "I am".  This is God's personal name that he gave to Moses.  The people clearly understood him and that is why they picked up stones to stone him.

I thank you Lord Jesus for your words that bring life!  Please open my eyes to see and my ears to hear!  Help me to seek you and find your words, find life and find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment