DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Revelation 2 - Nathanael

I find several things interesting as I read this chapter:
1) The characteristics of Jesus that are described in the intro to the church relate to what the church is going through. For instance in the first to Ephesus, Jesus is described as one who walks among the seven golden lamp stands and then that church is in jeopardy of having their lamp stand removed if they don't repent.  In some ways this is similar to how some of the names of God are demonstrated in the Old Testament where we see Jahweh Jireh as the God who Provides when God provides a substitute for the sacrifice of Isaac.

2) When reading through these descriptions of churches it is good to see that most have their strengths and their weaknesses.  God commends for the strengths and then calls for changes in the areas of their weakness or sins.  When we look at our own churches, I think it is good to view them from a similar lens 1) what are the strengths 2) what are the weaknesses.  Also we can look at these examples to see which of these churches that we are most like and what areas God would commend and what areas God calls us to change.  
These lenses can also be used on our own lives.

As I look over the list of these churches, it seems to me that from the ones listed in chapter 2, we would be closest to the first - the church in Ephesus.  I'm not saying that we are identical, but just from this list so far, that is the closest.

Ephesus - hard work, good deeds, not tolerate wicked, hardships - forsaken first love -- partial
Smyrna - under heavy persecution - even to point of death -- not us now
Pergamum - persons killed but still faithful, sexual immorality -- not us now
Thyatira - good deeds - doing more than did - tolerate Jezabel -- not as close

There are items from each that we can learn are bad and to be avoided and things that are good and to be aimed for.

From Ephesus we see that it is possible for us to grow cold in our love for God. We can be so busy serving and working that we lose the relationship with God.  He calls us to repent - to change our minds and direction - to do the things we did earlier on - that is loving and pursuing God.

Jesus, help me to not only serve you, but to love you with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  I want you to be my purpose, my sufficiency, my goal, my choice, my life, my hope, my joy...my all in all.

Thank you for your love and your goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment