DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Romans 8 and 9 - Jason

For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6
I love Romans 8. It has so many good reminders about what it is to be a follower of Christ and the strength of our relationship with God through Christ Jesus. I like this verse that summarizes what it is like to live in the flesh--when I think about only what I want and what is "best" for me, then I feel spiritual death. But if I think about the Holy Spirit and what God is leading me to do and obey Him, then I experience life and peace. This is a good reminder to check how I am thinking and making decisions on a daily basis.

So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. Romans 9:16
Romans 9 has been a bit confusing for me in recent years, especially when I have talked with people who are strong in saying that God created some people to be saved, and some people to be unsaved, and there's nothing we can do about it. I don't think that's true, because in other Scriptures the Lord expresses His desire for all people to be saved. I think the point of this discussion is that we cannot save ourselves, but we are dependent on God to show mercy to us. Is it possible that God will show mercy to the whole world? Yes, I believe He would show mercy and save the whole world if each person would turn to Him and believe in Christ Jesus as their savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment