DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Matthew 5 - Jason

Jesus' teaching is very dense in Chapter 5 of Matthew. I feel like every section speaks to me an important message. I tried to imagine today that I was one of the disciples sitting on the mountain with Jesus as he taught. I imagined that I was close to him, outside, listening to him speak. It is a beautiful day today and the temperature is really nice. It was wonderful to spend this time with the Lord and learn from his perfect wisdom. His ways are so different from the darkness in the world. I always struggle with this verse about "give to the one who begs from you and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you" (verse 42). I have said to God that I will give to people I meet who need help in Jesus' name, but I still struggle with whether or not I gave money or time or shelter in a foolish way. I make effort to pray and ask God before I give--I have had times in which God said I should say "no" to someone, but it is still hard to say no. I want to be nice, but at the same time, I don't want people to take advantage of me, and I don't want to lose the money or possessions that I am supposed to take care of. Especially now that I'm married I am thinking about this more. I'm being more careful with money because my wife and I are sharing the money, and I don't want to spend without discussing together with her. But still, if I pray and feel that God wants me to give help to someone, I want to do it even if I can't see how my finances will work out. I trust that God will take care of my family if I put Him first all follow all His directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment