DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

1 Timothy 1 - Nathanael - the worst of sinners

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
1 Timothy 1:15‭-‬16 NIV
http://bible.com/111/1ti.1.15-16.NIV

When I've read this is the past, my focus was on Paul being the worst of sinners. But it occurred to me that this is speaking to me also - the worst of sinners. Often when reading the Bible it is easy to assume that I am like the "good" people and wouldn't do the foolish or bad things that the "bad" people do. But the longer I follow Christ I realize that I am just like the "bad" people. I would (and have) doubted like Thomas and would deny like Peter and would grumble like the Israelites.

So reading this I recognize that indeed I too am the worst of sinners! My only hope is the grace and forgiveness of Jesus! Thank you Jesus for having mercy on me, the worst of sinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment