DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Ephesians 4 - Randy

Verses 31 &32- Get rid of bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to  one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Uhmmm... what to do with anger, bitterness, and rage.?  Are these things ever justified-this is my first response on reading these two verses.   When he says "Be kind and compassionate to one another"  who is "one another"- maybe what these verses are saying is that we need to "Be kind and compassionate" to  other Christians, but everyone else is fair game????
I don't think so, but to be honest, I wish this was the case.  What do yo do when someone has offended or hurt you so deeply that you feel rage and bitterness are appropriate?  Are they (rage and bitterness) ever appropriate?
How about those folks who, in my mind, represent pure evil and are only out to do me harm?
We all know these types of people, and we all have these feelings;  rage, anger , and bitterness- what are we  to do? 
We can go though the motions of forgiving them (do we really know how to forgive, I don't), but they are still there, full of evil, waiting to hurt me again, and again.
What to do?
Like many other verses, these are troubling, I understand them, I just don't know how to live them.  I guess this is where faith and prayer come in :)

  

1 comment:

  1. Good questions! I think that is why the disciples said "Increase our faith!" in response to Jesus saying that they have to keep forgiving someone who has done them wrong (Luke 17:5).
    The great news is that all we have to do is press in and follow after Jesus and choose to obey even when it doesn't make sense (that is faith). Ultimately God changes our outlook as Paul says in Philippians 2:13 "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." Now that is some great news!!

    ReplyDelete