DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

2 Corinthians 6 - Nathanael

through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.  
2 Corinthians 6:8‭-‬10
This passage is always striking to me. Paul willingly goes through hardships and joys all for the sake of Jesus and for the lives of those he is reaching out to in love. The beginning of the passage is more good alongside the bad and the transitions to bad but still with hope. In the face of disaster we can still have hope and joy in Christ because he is calling us to a life beyond this life. In him we have hope of eternity in his presence. In that hope we can endure whatever comes and realize that we possess all that really matters! 

We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. As a fair exchange—I speak as to my children—open wide your hearts also.  2 Corinthians 6:‬11,13
 Paul speaks in love to the Corinthians - he had opened his words, life, actions and heart to them. He asks that they do the same. 

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 
2 Corinthians 6:14
This idea of yoking - being bound together in common purpose - has many applications: marriage, business partnerships, fraternal orders and others. We are called not to be joined with unbelievers in these situations. Clearly we are to have love for, relationships with,  and reach out to unbelievers. The key difference is in that promise or covenant of commitment. We can walk beside and we can help, but when yoking and committing to a common endeavor, that should be done with those of like mind and heart. 

And, "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."
2 Corinthians 6:18 NIV
This is quite a promise! I love being a son of God! He is my daddy, my father and my God. His love surrounds, supports and grounds me. God is my source and my hope and I love him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment