DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Luke Chapter 5 - Nathanael

Verse 10 - and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners.

it caught my eye that James and John, who along with Peter became the core of the disciples had a relationship with each other as work partners before they began to work together in the Kingdom of God.  God is a God of relationships.  Often those relationships that we have in our lives become relationships in the kingdom of God.  Who are your James and John?

Verse 13 - Jesus reached out his hand and39touched the man.

Here when Jesus heals the man with leprosy, he touches him.  He doesn't need to touch him to heal him and most people would be afraid to touch a leper because of fear of catching some disease.  But Jesus cares about the man, not just in his physical being, but also in his emotional and social being and touches him.  He goes outside of the comfort zone to help others.  Lord Jesus, give me your heart to see the needs of others in all dimensions of their lives and the courage to reach out in "uncomfortable" ways to bring your healing and help to others.

Verse 16- But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Of all the things that I need to do, I think that this is the most important.  My focus and time can get so pulled into all the things that I "need" to do, I lose out on what is really needed - spending time with God to speak and listen and soak up his presence and his love.  God is our source and spending time with him gives us what we really need to do all of the other things in life.

Verse 31,32 - Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.  I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

These verses always speak to me.  How easy it is for me to feel "righteous" and then not in need of God's grace and healing.  Lord Jesus, please keep me in a state where I recognize my sickness, sinfulness and great need for you!

Verses 38-39 - No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, 'The old is better.'"

God I know that you are wanting to do a new thing in our midst!  Help me to not be stuck in my old ways of thinking but to accept and embrace your new wine.  Work in me in the new ways that you please and not let me get stuck in old ways.  Help me to follow the leading of your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment