DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Luke Chapter 9 - Nathanael

Verse 23-24 - Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.

In our lives we often get distracted from the main things of life. Jesus called us to something radical and different but instead we struggle so hard to be "normal" and "fit in".  Jesus said we must deny ourselves daily.  We struggle when we occasionally have to say no to our flesh and our desires. Jesus calls us to deny ourselves daily!  He tells us to take up our cross daily - to die to ourselves daily.

I'm afraid that I/we so often end up like those from Jesus' parable of the Sower (Chapter 8) who are not the good soil.  We have God's words taken from us regularly, we turn back in the face of opposition and persecution, we get choked out and distracted by the cares of this life and the worries about riches and pleasures.  God help us!!  God save us!! God change us!!

I want to see the world the way that God sees it!  I want to see that God and his kingdom are what matter in this life!  I want to put the spiritual above the natural!  I want more of God and less of me!
I don't want Jesus to be ashamed of me but I want God to say "Well done good and faithful servant"!

Father, change my vision, my values, my life, my treasure, my perspective so that you are all in all!

No comments:

Post a Comment