DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Mark 11 - Nathanael

"Truly  I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.  And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."  
Mark 11:23‭-‬25
This is both a powerful and easily misunderstood passage. 
On the misunderstood side, this can be turned into a "name it and claim it - believe it and possess it" type of doctrine. That would put us in the place of God or treat God as some cosmic genie. The belief here is the faith that comes from God. It is directed by him, not us. 
On the other hand, I think wee can become too timid I our prayer. There are times God is leading us and we can be afraid to follow. So we don't take gold of the faith and the amazing power of God's word as described here. 

Jesus replied, "I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things.
Mark 11:29 NIV
Jesus was a master question asker. I want to grow in this area! 

1 comment:

  1. I think its cool that when we read the same passage and blog about it separately we usually pick out the same verses that are speaking to us the most.

    ReplyDelete