DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Mark 14 - Nathanael

"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."   
Mark 14:34
When I read this it reminded me of times that I was worried about an upcoming situation and how my stomach would be churning, my heart pounding and a sweat breaking out. Jesus had those same feelings except that he knew that he was going to be tortured and die and be separated from God for the first time in his existence. He was in great anguish! 

Peter followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. There he sat with the guards and warmed himself at the fire.  
Mark 14:54
Peter had just promised Jesus that he would follow him even to death, so he is following along at a distance even though the other disciples fled. 


Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows twice  you will disown me three times." And he broke down and wept.
Mark 14:72 NIV
Peter thought he could be strong but here came face to face with his fears and weakness. It is certainly something I have experienced in following Christ. It is shameful but thankfully we have a loving Savior who forgives and restores us and is strong on our behalf in the face of our weakness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment