DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Matthew 20+21 - Jason

I think the parables that Jesus told are all fascinating. The parable of the workers in the field (20:1-16) describes how God will give to each person a similar reward whether they have worked in the field for the entire day, or only a single hour. This parable speaks to me about not comparing myself to others when I am serving God or even in other aspects of my life. I should work and do what God made me to do and accept what reward and payment he offers without looking at others to see what they got. If I see what another person got that's good I should be happy for them and thank God for giving good things to all! Thank you Lord for your great mercy and generosity to me and so many others!

I was watching a movie called "Son of God" last night, and when they show the scene of the Triumphal Entry, one of the temple guards informs the high priest that Jesus is entering Jerusalem on a donkey, and the priest also knows this prophecy from the Old Testament that "Behold, your king is coming to you. Humble and riding on a donkey". This infuriated the high priest because he thought that Jesus was a fraud and not the true Messiah. I don't know if the high priest really thought way, but maybe he did. Because when Jesus did claim to be God, the high priest tore his robes and thought that he was committing blasphemy. I'm not sure if I fully understand why they were so offended by Jesus' claim that they wanted Jesus to be killed. But it seems similar to this situation: Jesus knew that he is Messiah, and he was doing things according to the prophecies about what the Messiah would do. The people who were looking for the Messiah, but only in their own terms, were looking for a strong king to save them from their earthly enemies. When Jesus did not do that, they thought he was a fraud. But Jesus is the Messiah and he was doing everything exactly according to Scripture that the Messiah would do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment