DI Bible Reading

A regular Bible discussion at Discipleship International that encourages participation for mutual encouragement.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Matthew 26 (actually 26 this time) - Jason

This chapter is the really difficult to read because the disciples must have been so overwhelmed with grief and disappointment. Judas had betrayed his commitment to Jesus entirely and sold him out. Peter denied that he knew Jesus even though he knew that Jesus was the Messiah, it's as thought in that moment all of his followers doubted him. Perhaps this would spare them from being attacked and killed by the authorities as well. But it just seems like a very dark hour. Jesus still seems relatively calm and in control even though he was praying like crazy and overwhelmed with grief too. I wonder what was making him more sad--the fact that his disciples would fall away and experience the pain of losing him temporarily, or the fact that he would take the sin of the world and be separated from God and punished by God for a time. He knew what the ultimate result would be, but it was very difficult in the moment for Him to go through it. I pray that I will never deny the Lord even if I am afraid of losing my life, my job, my reputation, etc. I pray that I would not boast about how strong I am and then fail in the next moment as Peter did. Peter probably did not expect to be forgiven by Christ for what he did. I pray that I will take my decision seriously and recognize that they have consequences, but also recognize that God is bigger than the consequences and can restore me and deliver me from any problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment